Monday, January 18, 2010

mp3 player + phone + Moldova = (________)

In America I'm pretty sure most cell phones have the mp3 player options, but if I remember correctly myself and my friends largely underutilized this feature. In Moldova they love this capability and use it to it's full capability. Not only will you find most people using their cell phone as their primary mp3 player with headphones, but without. This meaning that they use their personal cell phone as a boom box, and you'd be surprised at how loud these bad boys can get. People blast them while walking down the street, while sitting in a bus, standing - well, anything really. Witnessing this as an American makes me laugh for two reasons. The first reason is that if there was somebody blasting music next to you on the bus most Americans would loose patience and say something about how the person was being rude or inconsiderate to those around them. Or, the other American would not say anything while their blood boiled in anger, and while thinking of wringing their neck the whole bus ride. And then to the first friend they saw they would exclaim, "you wouldn't believe this guy on the bus, he was blasting his music and being such a jerk!" Here, blasting music on the bus is accepted. I accept it, but with laughter at the cultural differences. I think I even like it? Okay, so the other reason that it is funny, possibly more funny to me personally is what is often playing/blasting on these cell phones to those around them. I would guess about 50% of the time it is in English, and if I'm lucky, 40% of the time hardcore gangster rap in English. This means that most likely they don't know what is being said, but just like the way it sounds - which is cool. But it gets funny when you see a 12 year old boy walking with gangster rap blaring "get out my face!, get out my face!, get out my face!," (lyrics I heard on the way home to lunch today), or other favorites such as Eminem, DMX "Rough Riders Anthem," 50 cent, and most popular to Moldovans, Akon. I even remember this past summer doing my best to translate the a DMX song for a guy I met named Sergiu, and I don't think I did too bad really.... And in another situation I remember explaining how DMX is in jail, but to do this I had to jump a fence and grip it from the other side for them to understand, but that's besides the point. These mp3 player situations are entertaining, and just one of the interesting cultural differences I find when comparing Moldova to America. If my phone only had this....