Monday, February 22, 2010

Spring and stuff


A good Monday. It's sunny out, which means there is no snow, now the next challenge is mud. But still, it is beautiful out, and I almost forgot what everything looks like in my village when it is not blanketed with snow. I'd like to think it is spring, but I'm scared another snow will come as soon as I've accepted that it's spring, so I'm a bit apprehensive.

This morning I woke up and did my laundry. This is not an easy task, especially when you wait until you have one pair of underwear left. I told my host mom that "I'm having an underwear crisis, and need to wash my clothes." She laughed, and helped me find the needed supplies: bucket, soap, water, my hands. It was a nice day so I think it will actually dry out and I won't have to wait for it to freeze, then unfreeze, then put it by the heater for it to dry - it might just be dry today. I also had an awesome lunch which has triggered me into a great mood. This fried bread called turtă, and soup with a chicken breast. I'm pretty sure that is my favorite Moldovan lunch. I don't know what has gotten into my host mom, but she has really been stepping it up with the meals.

Overall things are moving along at work, but we will see this week. We have started discussing the specifics of our budget, and we are having a community meeting tomorrow to discuss the 'newer' direction of our organization. We hope that this meeting will spark some constructive criticism, and maybe spark interest which will lead to more community involvement, or better yet, some people who want to help us.

In other, sadder, recent news: two of my cats died, I left my second debit card in an ATM, and my computer screen's pixels are dying. One of the cats was my favorite, and we have no idea why it died. The debit card system here is different than in USA (I blame that, not myself (denial?)) because it gives you your money and then you have to request the card, so I often put the money in my wallet, turn, and leave. With the computer I might have to send it to USA to get it fixed, which sucks because I just got internet at my house. Sigh. I'm not going to let it get me down too much.